Tuesday, February 16, 2010

boy bunk room - part one

image from here

when we originally had our house designed we decided on 5 bedrooms upstairs.  master plus 4 more.  

at that point we had four children.  then i was blessed with pregnancy and another baby :)  we shuffled various ideas around on how to 'divide' the kids into the planned spaces.  every time we had the conversation it was never settling.  and to tell you the truth, even when we had four children and they each had their 'own' space i was just.........well, so so with the whole idea of them each having their own room.  

i remember wondering what it would be like to share a room growing up, as i always had my own.  my husband shared a room for all but 2 of his years at home.  and really, we need to know how to share space throughout our adult life so why not prepare our children for that?  in college you have a roommate, when you get married you have a roommate :)  at work, often you have to share something...space, copy machine, phone etc. 

the other issue that i always dread dealing with (even in this house) is:  when the baby is old enough how  will we RE arrange the rooms???  

so throughout the planning process, our having our fifth child, we came up with a logical solution for our family:  

Bunk Rooms!

one for the girls
one for the boys


it solved all our room dividing problems and more! :)  

1. the rooms will be much larger since we're combining the spaces. allowing for more bookcases, which was always on our 'wish list'. 
2. each room can have one large bathroom versus a smaller jack and jill style bathroom.  
3. when the little dubs is old enough he can go into the 'boy bunk room'.  no questions.
4. Lord willing, when we have more babies, and they're old enough to move out of the nursery, same as above....if the little munchkin is a girl she'll join the girls in the 'girl bunk room' ...if the little one is a boy, he'll join the boy's in the 'boy bunk room'....no more agonizing decision making!
5. the bunk rooms will help prepare the children to know how to share their space! (there is plenty of room around the house if they need alone time!)
6.  another bonus... hopefully the children will continue to talk through their struggles since they won't be able to slam their 'own' bedroom door shut  :)

amen.

i will be posting sequels to this and cover bunk choices, decor, layout, lighting etc. 

19 comments:

  1. This is really great!! Can I come stay...oh yeah and be 10 again? ;) Hugs, Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I never had to share, but my sisters did and they are still the best of friends because of it! I have just one boy and girl so far so we don't share rooms, but when we have a 3rd - someone will be sharing. My kids do share the same bed at night though - they sleep in my sons' room and they sleep better and that makes everyone happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lOVE this idea! The first picture of the four bunks is so neat looking. We have four kids and although my husband wants more, I just keep thinking - where are we going to put them all???

    Maybe when he finishes law school in a couple of years we can build or buy a house and do this!

    I'm glad you came up with a solution. That will certainly help things out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. like your new pic, sara! you're so beautiful. and i love the bunk room idea! i can't believe how soon you guys will be in your home! :) loves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'll keep you updated girls....and thanks for the compliment on the picture susie. :) it was from our valentines date :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that idea! MY three share a room and would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You for commenting on my blog, as I was able to find your sweet blog, and am now a happy follower!
    Take Care,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. just found your blog from somewhere...oh! It was Home and Harmony!

    I'm a homeschooling mom...loving your blog! can't wait to look around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. loving your blog..found it from Home and Harmony! I'm a homeschooling mom and long for the day to build a house in a large field! :)

    Just became a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sara. I found your blog through another one that I follow. I have to say, I have so enjoyed reading it and...well...we have alot in common. :) I am sooooo excited to see the bunk room finished!
    God is good.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea!!!! I just found your blog! Its super cute! Now a new follower of yours. feel free to ehad over and check out my blog!!:))

    ReplyDelete
  12. so your blog is the cutest thing I have seen in forever :) You have a new follower my friend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for commenting on my blog! I looked back at your painted piano! It looks great! I think I saw pictures of it once on another blog:) Let me know if you have any pointers on the painting process. I am a bit nervous to paint around the keys!
    Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those bunks are so cool. Do you have the overall length? I've got 4 boys in a small house and the "dorm room" is shrinking everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah Thanks for your sweet comment today.
    The filming was so fun! I am going to be sad when it is all over :)
    Hugs.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I love those bunkbeds!!! So cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing your house! It's absolutely beautiful. I shared a room growing up. Then all through college. I think I had my own room for maybe 1 out of my 26 years of life. I wouldn't change it for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sarah
    I LOVE the kids rooms; the design & colour scheme.
    I've seen an idea that may be of interest to you, should it not be too difficult to create.
    The stair uprights were made to lift up (or down) on hinges, then a board/'floor' was placed horizontally behind each step so that they could also be used as (hidden) storage. However I did wonder if you'd used this space behind them, on the other side of the wall. If you are interested, please let me know & I will try to find the photo of it if my description isn't clear enough.
    Have you done something like this with the base of the top & bottom beds so that you are able to use that space? If those boards (not sure what you call them, but they usually have a trundle bed or storage underneath) were on hinges, there would be SO much more space for the children as they .. & their personal items grow with them! :-) As there'd be no storage baskets/bins showing, it would still look as neat & tidy as it already does. :-)
    I just adore what you've achieved!! I'm sure that my Aunt & Uncle would have done this when they had 8 children, even though they also had a very large home with lots of bedrooms. Never enough when there are a lot of growing children. It's just as well children only come in two sexes, isn't it!! LOL
    Cheers,
    Wendy .... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the concept of the bunk beds. I have always thought we might do this for our grandchildren. We too have 5 children and they are quickly growing up. I look forward to having many grandchildren one day and want them to have fun sleepovers at our home. Bunkbeds can be very accomodating. I am wondering how high the ceilings are in the area that you built them? Thank you for your answer and many blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs