Monday, April 5, 2010

kitchen pantry

i will once again start out with my 'inspiration' pictures.  out of the bajillion pictures i saved in my computer files and paper files (from magazines) of pantries, these are the two that i based most of our pantry design on.

it was very helpful to find a variety of designs because then i could narrow down what i liked and needed.  i was soon able to easily say 'no' to different design aspects of a pantry because i knew what i liked.  p.s.  this principle was true for all of the rooms in the house!  so start ripping out pages of magazines and saving pictures on your computer if you have not started yet.  it really helps refine your style!

okay.  back to the pantry.

elements i like/desired/needed:

1.  chalkboard on the door.  
2.  clock inside (this will go above the snack drawer that the kids are
     allowed into at 10:30am and 3:30pm)

~image via country living~

3.  somewhat evenly divided spaces. 
    (i didn't want to break the budget on a million custom areas in the pantry)

4.  two small custom shelves.  one for 9x13's and a snack drawer.

~image via i'm not sure?  if you know please tell me :)~

so here you can see how we implemented the chalkboard idea.  we had the plain faced door trimmed into three areas that will coordinate with the other paneled doors in the house.  the big box on top will be filled with chalkboard paint. 



here is one view of the inside.  there will be additional vertical 
spacers added to further separate the longer shelves.


to the left you can see the 5 shelves for 9x13 pans.  this is one dish we use often and many times more than two or three at a time.  i am forever stacking an restacking, clanging them around, practically breaking...well you get the picture.  mama wanted them separated! :)

the shelves on the left, beyond the 9x13 shelves, 
overall are much narrower to accommodate canned goods.

i'm sure i'll have more to add to this as things are progressing rather fast at this point! :)





11 comments:

  1. Looks like it is coming along quite nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a girl after my own heart. I am a magazine page pulling, picture stealing off the computer junkie! And....I have both those pantry pictures in my own files! I am so happy that you get to make your dream home come true. I'm hoping I will get to do the same some day♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is almost (almost:)!) as thrilling for us to watch as it is for you to progress through! What a joy to see God giving you the desires of you heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your ideas, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks wonderful already...i would love a pantry in my kitchen. i can't wait to see when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! We just planned our kitchen very carefully--I can't believe a friend of mine just put in a kitchen and didn't really give a lot of thought as to where things will go!

    Since you mention inspiration--I love Jen Morris' inspriation for decoration gallery. I went through it and saved a lot of ideas for our renovaton from her collection of ideas: http://jengrantmorris.blogspot.com/

    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally see how your place will be transformed into those gorgeous inspiration photos. In fact, I'm pretty sure the end result will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sara - I'm new to your blog and loving it! Such great inspiration. I like the first pantry photo. Can't wait to see yours when it's done!

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the chalkboard door idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that door too but don't presently have a pantry . our kids have do snack at 10am and 3pm so I thought that was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for all the pantry love!

    sonja- those inspiration pictures are great! thanks for sharing :)

    eva - great minds think alike :) seriously, it helps so much to have a set time. they don't ask all day this way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs