Wednesday, February 9, 2011

boy bunk room

the boys bunk room!  yay!  i've been trying to get this post pulled together for some time now so thanks so much for your patience :)

can i just say.  the bunks are a total blast.  the kids love them.  often times those top bunks will have pink pillows and quilts from sleepovers with deanie and dancy.

you can see more of the building of these bunks here.


in our home we have a boy bunk room, a girl bunk room (no bunks), a nursery, and the master bedroom.  
we do have a guest room as well in the basement.  when we first were working on the floor plan we were going back and forth with who would be in what room and what if we are blessed with another baby?  

we scratched it all and went bunk room style.  it has been a very good choice for our family.

we gave the picture that i found in a magazine to the builder.  one of the finish carpenters literally sketched a plan and built them according to the picture!  


i don't know how big the beds were in the magazine picture, but we decided to make ours to fit an extra long twin mattress.  they are nice and roomy.

for bedding i just use a fitted sheet (size twin xl) and a duvet (regular twin size).  i do not mess with a flat sheet on the bunks.  there is space around the mattress so changing the sheets is not a big deal.


the stairs are pretty narrow, with the top landing being a little deeper.  i do have a rule of no jumping off the stairs. :)  in the future i'd like to put a fun picture right up in the center of the back wall.

since we all love to read, incorporating book shelves all over the house was at the top of the list.  in the bunk room we added them to each of the bunks.  this is boone's bunk.  typically he has books spilling off the shelves and tucked into the sides of the bed! :)  i took them off for pictures so you could see the shelves.

each bunk has it's own light that turns on independently.  my dad sells classic cars and his showroom has a lot of period style fixtures and features.  he has push button light switches in the bathroom and i always thought they were so cool.  mr. daddy reminded me of these and thought they would be a unique feature versus a normal light switch.  

the lights do get hot but not scalding.  they're totally safe.  they do cast a slight glow into the room at night but not enough to keep hank awake.  

we also have a rule that when it's lights off, it's lights off.  period.  so turning them on in the middle of the night or whatever is not an issue.

we also put an outlet in each shelf unit of each bunk for the future.  cell phones? ipods?  or whatever will be invented in the next 10 years :)


across the bunks we have a window seat and more bookshelves.  the 3 drawers under the window seat are operable and provide more storage!

obviously, we're still getting settled in figuring out what decor we want so i'm keeping it empty until i find what i like :)


reading corner.

cd player/radio.  favorites are jonathan park and adventures in odyssey.



the right book shelf.  this has some of our audio series and boone's chapter books.

the left shelf.  this has board books, picture books, and some beginning readers.



 the doorway to the right of the mirror is the bathroom.  this bathroom also exits into the hallway.

okay...here is one end of the bunks.  you can see how its finished off.  also, this is hank before his nap.  you can see where he keeps his books since picture books are too big for the shelf. :)

i snuck back in later....totally cashed out.

i hope you enjoyed the tour of the boys bunk room!  i will list sources below.  i'm sure you'll see more of this room as we continue to decorate :)

bunk room sources:

color of bunk beds:  benjamin moore fieldstone  (same as the kitchen)
color of the walls:  benjamin moore winter orchard
bunk lights: access lighting
bunk light switches: van dyke restorers
bunk light switch covers: van dyke restorers
orange mirror:  ikea
striped curtains:  ikea
orange lamp: thrift store
number lamp shade: helen rawlinson
picture above the radio:  fly away by sarajane studios etsy
play nice poster: john golden etsy
i love you vase:  dollar spot target
little orange clock:  target
orange blanket on reading chair:  ikea

56 comments:

  1. I am FREAKING out! This is by far the greatest kids space I have seen in a LONG time! Great job. I love the color of the bunks. I am applauding you rom my computer in Utah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this room!!! It is absolutely perfect. A boy's dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bunk room is THE REASON I started following your blog. Since then, there have been 5,000 more reasons! One of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, absolutely amazing! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, its gorgeous, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Cow! You've done it again!!! You've made me fall in love with yet another room of your house! I can't wait to see the other rooms!!!! I'll be featuring you yet again!!! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great boys bunk room!! Any boy would love to have a room like that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home is so amazing and I am ga-ga over your boy's bunk room!!! It is just beyond!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooo awesome! I thought the pictures were straight out of a magazine at first! I love everything about this!

    ~Kiri

    ReplyDelete
  10. you KNOW how much I love these!!! Thanks for showing them again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember seeing, in the building phase, that you were doing these and I absolutely LOVE this idea! What a fun space and fun memories your kids will always have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, So, SOOOO beautiful and practical! Y'all are brilliant! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is INGENIOUS!!!!!

    Absolutely amazingly pragmatic AND aesthetic!!!

    I'm sure your boys LOVE THIS!

    I'm a grown woman and I LOVE THIS!!!!!

    MANY blessings to you & thanks for sharing this fab space,
    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Every Single Thing about this room! I've been pushing my parents to create a bunk room in one of the bedrooms in their home. I can see it as a great place for the grandkids when we're all in town. I'm sending them this link so they can see how great it'd be. Thanks for sharing your boys' room.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, I.absolutely.LOVE.this!!! And seriously, I LOVE your blog!!! Really. We are building a house and it has been so nice to use your blog as the perfect reference since I completely love your style. A-MAZING!!! Thank you so much for always listing your sources, it's so helpful. Anyway- back to the bunks. They're genius. I just wish I could figure out a way to adopt the idea for our new home but since I only have 2 kids(one of each) I don't know how I could pull it off. Sure do love it though. FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so amazing!!! What a great idea and wonderful implementation!!! I want a room like this!!! Maybe for my grandkids in the future! Can't wait to see more pictues!!
    I'm new to your blog, but am really enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tagged the same photo for my dream house! How cool is it that you have actually implemented it ;-). Lucky. What are the dimensions of the room?

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is totally amazing!! wonderful..fantastic..amazing
    good job! Inspiring
    xo:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is nothing short of amazing! I even had to show my hubby these pictures. What lucky kiddos to have this set up.

    I, too, was wondering how big the room was?

    Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is the best bunk room I've seen anywhere.

    your boys will NEVER forgot all the memories they make together!~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok THIS is amazing!! I showed my 30 year old husband and he actually said "oh wow, I want a room like that!" Ha! Brings out the little boy in a grown man, it's so cool : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just love the individual lights! What a fantastic space for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is spectacular. I love the color as well. It is similar to a color we have in our living room. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now you have my daughter wanting bunks and me wanting more grey. I just can't get enough of your beautiful home. I'm thinking about painting my foyer your vapor trails. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. love. it. i cant wait to spend some time in there this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOWZA! Those are beyond fabulous. Are you so excited with the finished product? They look amazing and I LOVE the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I told you I would do it again. I had to share this room with others. So, you are on my blog for 2 weeks in a row! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What you have show us of your home is gorgeous. I love the bunkroom. I am also excited to see the schoolroom. I think homeschooling your children is a wonderful thing. I homeschooled my oldest for K but hubby wanted him in school. I would love to be doing it now. I look forward to seeing your decorating journey in each room.
    www.chandrassouthernlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. This room is FABULOUS! My boys would love this. So creative, and such a good use of space. And I adore the orange lamp. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great space for your boys! I was going to say it looks like its straight out of a magazine too:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the bunks! Can you tell me the ceiling height of this room? I assume they are not standard height...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. NJ - the height of the ceiling in this room is 9 feet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. what an amazing boys room! kudos to you for having such a beautiful & tidy home with kids and homeschooling on top of that. when i use to homeschool i couldn't keep up with the chaos! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Another stunning room!! I LOVE the idea of built-in bunk beds like these!! You did a fabulous job!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Holy Moly!
    Awesome room. That's so much fun!
    And then I noticed my print at the end of the post...totally caught me by surprise:) I found you via 6th street design....so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Okay! We totally need this! We have 4 kids (going on 6 if our adoption goes through) and will definitely need a "bunk" room. How much physical space do the bunk beds take up? I am trying to do the math and see if it would fit in our house. Great room - and house!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I do really love the idea of this space A LOT. However, even though gray is my favorite color, I would really love to see more pops of color in this to make it even better. To me the gray just makes it all look a little too prison-y. Just my two cents. But love the overall idea!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awesome! very clean. I like that "Filedstone" (is there green in it?) seems like a good color to sedate the kids with. lol
    Kudos to your carpenters, they did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is just beautiful! Oh wait, it's a boys room so I'll say COOL! Very, very cool. I've seen similar bunks in magazines before, but these are by far my favorite. Lucky boys.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Can you pack this up and ship it to our house (and a 2 bunk version for the other room...) - we need a girls version for the 4 bunks...

    Seriously, I love this room and wish we had a room big enough for it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Please post plans or more details. I'd love to build these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Found this through another blog and I am completely smitten with this. I told my husband that we NEED this in our next house. Holy cow, I love it so much. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very lovely. It looks very organized. Children would really enjoy staying inside their rooms if they stay in a sea craft such as this.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Can I purchase the plans and details of the manufacture of the bunks?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Can I purchase the plans and details of the manufacture of the bunks?

    ReplyDelete
  46. this is an amazing idea! I love it! cant wait to make this for my boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I, too, would love to know more about dimensions of the room and the bunks. We are customizing plans right now to build a house, and would like to have 2 bunk rooms just like this...one for our 3 girls and one for our 3 boys. I wondered about the xl twins....we were thinking the same.did you get a lot of flack from people? (family, builder, etc) We are already starting to hear the naysayers since it is so far from the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  48. The bunks look really sturdy and cozy, making them great choices for organizing kids’ room. Though the idea really saves space, you may really need a higher ceiling to accommodate the bunks.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love the bunkroom concept. I would love to do this for a guest room with queen size mattresses.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi! I love this room- it seems I'm not alone ;-) I was wondering where you found your sheets and duvet covers with the delightful stars. I have been looking for sheets like this and then saw your blog - I was originally drawn to your lovey kitchen! I knew I had to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I would love this for my boys room. Is there a company that does this work? Please help!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs