Tuesday, April 26, 2011

easy chicken salad

here is a quick and easy chicken salad that i like to make.  its yummy on sandwich bread, on top of a bed of lettuce, or as a stand alone main dish.

i use a 4.99 roasted chicken from the grocery store (they're typically under a heating lamp).  

ingredients:

1 roasted chicken
grapes (red or green)
cashews
mayo
shredded cheese (cheddar or mozzarella) 
celery



separate chicken meat from the bones.  discard bones and majority of the skin into a separate bowl.

meat on the left, bones and skin on the right.

if you want, you can dump you bones and skin in a big pot with water and boil it for awhile.  strain for some yummy chicken broth.  i like to make rice with chicken broth instead of water.

back to the chicken salad.  chop up some celery...i used 3 stalks.



add mayo to your liking.

 cut up some grapes.  typically, i like red but i only had green on hand.



 sprinkle in some cashews.  again, to your liking.

add some cheese.

a little bit of lime juice.....

a bit of pepper.....

i like to serve this cold.  one chicken makes about a 8 inch dish.  enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this...I have been looking for a good chicken salad recipe. Also, your family looked adorable on Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!!
    I love chicken salad and
    that looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious... I just posted a chicken salad recipe today! I think we are all over the Easter ham!

    Thanks for sharing, I LOVE easy & yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I am going to have to try this. I'm a picky eater and you made this look good to me and up to this day I have not liked chicken salad. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum - I love chicken salad - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please share your recipe for the potato pie from the birthday party--I'm not sure what potato pie is! Also, did you "doctor" the box cake mix any? Thanks for sharing1

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute polka dot dish! Oh and the chicken salad looks great too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore chicken salad...adore. Thanks for sharing. I love the step by step pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! This sounds sooo delish! I cannot wait to make this up! It's a perfect light and springy meal!
    Thanks a bunch!
    Terrell

    ReplyDelete
  11. we do something very similar but add pinneapple, almonds, and cheddar as well as the mayo and celery! Yummy! Like your variation!
    just joined you as a follower :)
    http://threeinthenest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum so gonna make this!
    Great idea about the chicken broth and rice, I do chicken broth to boil potatoes for my mashed potatoes but never thought of it for rice. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious! I always make mine with red grapes, but I've never tried it with shredded cheese or cashews!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs