Wednesday, May 25, 2011

building the garden - that will hopefully keep deer out.

the garden has been started!!  we had this truckload of wood and a pallet of cement delivered for the fence.

my husband stayed home and helped!  this was so great for so many reasons....1. it went way faster
2. he loves doing this kind of stuff and its a great stress reliever for him  3. our entire family participated and  made this memory together!  

i was so happy that evening, when the day was done, thinking about how our children will always remember building the garden with opa and mom and dad and their siblings.....

here is the first hole being drilled.  the men had to drill 26 holes for the posts.

setting the four corner posts was the most crucial.  it was great to see my dad and husband work so well together.  actually, there was one corner that they debated if it was square or not....but that was just funny! :)  sorry.

okay...this was my job.  i had to paint sticky, black tar on the bottoms of all the posts!  i also nailed eight nails into the bottom of the posts before i painted them.  i'm not sure what the nails were for but i just did what my dad said :)  he's built more fences than me.

i am currently, as a result of this project,  sporting a lovely farmer's tan that i must take care of before a family wedding...yikes!

twenty-six posts means twenty-six bags of 80 lbs. cement.  again, so glad my husband was around!  i carried two of these bags and retired from that job.

another funny.  at the very end of the project we realized the pallet of cement was short 1 bag.  by that point i was covered with black tar and looking very dirty and wearing a huge straw hat.  i was voted to go to the local hardware store, grace them with my presence, and purchase the needed bag of cement.  lovely.  

each post was set to precision.  dancy helped with the hose and was the "water girl" while boone was the "level man".  here mr. daddy is pushing the water around in the cement.

dancy helped push the cement on several of the posts.

deanie helped pound nails in the bottom of each garden post.

these two little boys just took it all in.  they caught a toad, walked through a mud puddle to soak their socks, and road bikes around in the woods.  no, dubs can not ride a bike yet, but he wants to so bad!

this post hole digger attachment was the life saver of the day.

almost done with a days work.  storms are rolling through today so we're hoping to get back at it on thursday.

we also finalized the size of the raised beds to go inside the garden.  there will be twelve 4x12 beds laid out in two rows.

to see the inspiration and early prep for the garden click HERE.

14 comments:

  1. Wow! What a ton of work! Incredible that you got all that done in one day! Love how everyone chipped in. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The view is beautiful! I have one raised bed for veggies and herbs and I love it! Your garden is going to be awesome! So sweet that your Dad and your husband worked together! Very cool attachment for digging the fence post holes! Years ago my dear hubby had to dig out fence post holes by hand and it took hours.

    You all got a lot done for one day! Impressive!

    ~ Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is going to rock. I'm waiting not so patiently for it to warm up here so that everything I plant doesn't die three seconds into the ground.

    And I'm pretty sure I just saw a twelve page spread devoted to the fabulousness of farmers tans in Vogue.

    Well, maybe not, but you could always rock it like there was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great project! We, too, fight the Dear for our vegies each year. We hope to build a well fortressed vegie garden in our new acreage that we move to end of June =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to look SOOOO beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deer make for a lot of work but you guys have them under control. The deer eat my roses and other flowers here and that is a major reason I have no veggie garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks like it will be great. I wish I had the area to have a garden. Your land is beautiful. If you don't mind sharing, what state are you in. I love all the trees. I moved to SC to have more trees and I have less here than I did in Ca. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for making a deer proof garden. I can't plant tulips anymore and they are already into my hostas and sedum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up with a big garden and miss it so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see the end result! I loved seeing your sweet kids helping too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home is beautiful! I've been scrolling through your whole blog this evening. I found your blog months ago and have been meaning to ask if you've ever posted any type of plans for your house. We are about to build and I love how you incorporated the school room right off of the kitchen. I'm trying to see if you put that near the mudroom and/or the garage. I love how you thought of everything. Anything you can share would be great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! katiechase21@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was looking at the HB article and both my husband and I remarked that it's a load of grass to cut. Make sure you scale your pathways so that it optimizes the width of YOUR mower blades! You don't want to have to make an extra pass with the mower or have silly crevices where you'll be weedeating a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. we started a garden and the squirrels are driving us CRAZY!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs