Friday, May 13, 2011

creating a charleston-like window box

i like my window boxes full of flowers, overflowing, abundant....well, you get the picture.

have you ever been to charleston, south carolina?  i haven't.  yet.

but when i see pictures of charleston it never fails to include homes with window boxes that are spilling over with glorious color and full to the brim of floral goodness.

for my color scheme i stick with red, white and green.  it is very traditional (which fits the style of our home) and it makes my time in the flower greenhouses go much faster.  i go right to the red, whites and greens.....

this is how i filled our two window boxes this year.   i can't wait to see them fill out and mound over!


back row left to right:  1. Calliope Dark Red Geranium 2. Cornerstone Phormium Spike Plant 3. Calliope Dark Red Geranium

front row left to right:  1. Lemon Licorice 2. Snowstorm Giant Snowflake 3. Fame White Petunia  4. Snow Princess 5. Fame White Petunia  6. Snowstorm Giant Snowflake  7. Lysimachia 'Aurea'




 these window boxes are the nantucket window planters from Grandinroad.

for my soil i used a mix.  the bag on the left is a lighter weight, fertilized mixture from the garden shop.  the bag on the right is regular potting soil.

i layered the two soils until the planter was almost full

i also sprinkled osmocote slow release fertilizer throughout the soil.  

i always start from the middle and work my way out.

when all the plants are in i give it a good water and wait! :)

15 comments:

  1. I love this! And, I'm obsessed with Charleston! Would love to live there one day. I did a post a while back on how I wanted a window box like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny you would be talking about Charleston today. My SIL and BIL just returned from there and said it was one of the best trips of their lives (and they've been a whole lot of places). So, now it's on my list of "must sees."

    Love, love your window boxes. They will be a source of beauty all summer. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tall plant in the center. What a beautiful box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS! You have such an eye for types of plants, color and placement. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!!! I have always wanted to go there too. Maybe someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charleston is gorgeous and so are your window boxes, someday I will have for of them on my home in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really pretty! Charleston is a must see, I lived there years ago and it's a beautiful city. Great beaches too! Thanks for posting, makes me want to attempt some on my house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty. Like the classic look :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are lovely! I would love to see a tour of your house from the outside now that it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those window boxes and once they are in full bloom they will be amazing. Start in the middle and work your way out...very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you get the window box? It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please please please take the spike plant OUT...it's like a wallpaper boarder...outdated...you will see how much simpler and better it will look...and updated. No disrespect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sara, thanks so much for posting about this. Our new house came with window boxes and they seem so daunting to me. I'm inspired to do them after seeing yours.....just hope I can keep them alive all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stumbled upon your blog doing searches for Ben Moore Fieldstone. I live in Charleston, it is a beautiful city, although its very hot and muggy here in the summer. I just recently ordered those same boxes for my windows. I can't wait for them to get here so I can get them filled. Cant' wait to read the rest of your blog, p.s. your kitchen is wonderful!
    -Teri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs