Thursday, June 23, 2011

summer vacation - michigan style - part 1

we just returned home from a northern michigan vacation.  if you have never traveled these parts, please put it on your list of places to vacation!

full of fresh water lakes, adorable towns full of boutiques and local eateries, wineries, and gorgeous gorgeous scenery.  gorgeous.  


we rented a house for the week on one of the several beautiful inland lakes.  take your pick from glen lake, silver lake, torch lake and on and on......

oh, and if you're into fishing....well kevin vandam IS from michigan :)  boone caught this fish.



seriously, moments like this melt my heart.

there was lots of kayaking,  paddle boating, tubing, boat rides and turtle catching.  the water is so clear and i love not worrying about the salt getting in eyes and mouths.....



we painted the back of one turtle with nail polish :)  maybe someone else will find him one day....




on to the eateries!  in traverse city we ate at poppycocks.  it was fabulous!  fresh, eclectic and right up my alley!  the grilled eggplant bisque was de.lic.ous.



another great stop is the blue tractor.  yummy grille type food in a cool atmosphere.


downtown traverse city is full of wonderful boutiques, bookstores, restaurants, art studios and home stores.

as you drive along you'll notice several barns!  this was taken while we were driving out my car window.  someone could definitely make a picture book photographing all the cool barns in northern michigan.

oh! and the antique shops!  there are so many, and they are great!  this one, lilacs antiques, is in elk rapids.  i am collecting plates for a plate wall so plates were what i was on the hunt for this trip.

while in elk rapids we ate at pearl's for dinner.  spicy, new orleans menu that was wonderful!  they have a very friendly kid's menu as well.


this is the crawfish & corn chowder.  delish!



to be continued..............






25 comments:

  1. This seriously sounds like my kind of vacation. House on a lake? Kayaks? Yummy food?

    Yes please, I'll have two. Can't wait to see the rest of your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful!! Will add this one to my list. Can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such fun pictures! We rent a house in Michigan every year in Union Pier. I love lake michigan because you don't have to worry about sharks:) I've heard traverse city is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did northern MI last summer and it was one of the best, most relaxing vacations ever. Can't wait for the rest of your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw I love Traverse City! Please tell me you are going to the huge sand dunes?? That is my favorite thing to do there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your family loved it so much! I personally love the weather up there this time of year. It's usually a nice smooth 75 =)

    TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. michigan is so gorgeous in the summer. the first time i was there i visited a friend who had a little cottage in saugatuck. she didn't have air conditioning....being from the south , this floored me. but she didn't need it, the breeze was wonderful & the flowers fantastic.
    enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you enjoyed Michigan. I've lived here all my life and love it. A day out on the lake or even near a lake is so comforting and peaceful. Looks like you had a great time! My best friends parents live in Traverse, and I know she loves Poppycocks too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun and wonderful trip. I live in WA state but grew up in Union Pier. Michigan is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Ü

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michigan is too underrated! It's gorgeous up there. I'm heading North Sunday for the Allegan Flea! Woot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We vacation every year at a cottage in a similar area in Ontario--if you look on a map, where we go is across from where you went. It's so beautiful! The lakes! Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your vacay...looks beautiful! I love lakes, swimming, fishing, terrific shops and awesome places to eat and family fun! :) I would have never thought of going to Michigan but, now I'm adding it to my list of must go sees!

    ~ Ali

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your visit was timed perfectly and your location was a wonderful sampling of what MI has to offer. I was born, raised and lived most of my life in MI. My family has two cottages and a hunting lodge scattered around the state. We were always on the go to one of spots when the weekend arrived. Thank you for the little trip down memory lane. Now I want to go home :) New England just doesn't compare.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I collect state plates and have most states. They used to be hung in the nursery of my fourth but she just turned four. I have them stored for now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks like a dream. i could not help but squeak with joy at the picture of the kids with their arms around each other. what wonderful family memories! there is nothing like it. and every thing looked beautiful.
    -bridget
    www.delightfulbybridget.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have alot of friends in Michigan but theyre in the lower regions. I love the photos you got;cant wait to see more:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a lot of fun! Just curious - what made you choose Northern Michigan?? Never heard much of it as a summer vacation destination, but it looks like a ball!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I grew in the Traverse City area. The bay in Traverse is one of my favorite places to visit when we go home. The Sleeping Bear Dunes and Leland are great places to visit also. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You were right in my backyard. :) These are my stompin' grounds. Lived here all my life (Petoskey) and wouldn't trade it for the world. Come back in the winter and hit us up for dogsledding...in rustic Mancelona. (P.S. We used to go to a cottage every summer when I was a young girl...and I painted turtles too, and the last day of our stay, we would have a turtle race and watch them all head back to the bay across the lake.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my! This looks like such a blast! I have got to add it to my list of places to go! You have such a beautiful family! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks amazing....I am anxious to see more ........

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sara....I wonder if you have any links for rental homes in the area....I am the "planner" for family reunions and am looking for a new spot for our 2013 reunion....this looks Perfect.....

    Thanks
    AndeM1@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. your pictures are just beautiful...so clear and crisp! beautiful family!!! I'm so glad you had so much fun and thanks for sharing Michigan with us...makes me wish we had a trip planned!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love, love, LOVE that you travel to Michigan for vacations! I'm from the Great Lakes State (now in CA) and am proud to say that Michigan summers are hands down the most beautiful and relaxing of any summer I've experienced elsewhere. You covered some of my favorite places and I'm beaming with pride :-) Thanks for sharing!

    Megan

    http://www.designwinedine.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, we were in the exact same area! Next time check out Moomers in Traverse City for Ice Cream. A fun family experience! We were so happy with the beaches on Lake Michigan, and they were not crowded at all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs