Monday, October 22, 2012

operation christmas child. time to fill a shoebox (or plastic container).

it's that time of year again!  we get to fill up shoeboxes (well actually we use plastic containers now) and send them off through



the goal this year is to reach the 100 MILLIONTH box since 1993.

please check out our informative posts from last year on




NOVEMBER 12-19,  2012  
are the drop off dates.  so make sure you have your boxes filled by then.


this is a great time of year to really focus on others.  i like that this happens quite a bit before the "hustle and bustle" of the Christmas season.  the kids and i love to shop for all the fun items that will go into the containers!

here we are at target just today.  the sterelite containers are on sale for .92 each!

dancy found a package of combs that we can split up and pack into each box.


we also found these plastic, zip bags with a toothbrush and toothpaste inside.  they were by the travel size items.

we also picked up a multi pack of washcloths and deodorant from target...the rest we'll head to the dollar store for.

for items like:  stickers, pad of paper, soap, small cars, balls, jump ropes, crayons etc.

i recommend using a plastic container so that the child who receives it can use the container for something useful (storage, transporting water etc.).

how does this work?  EASY!!

1.  Pack a Box

2.  Drop off your Box and a designated location.

they even have a pinterest board full of shoebox ideas.  for all you crafty mamas and kiddos.

have FUN with this.  show your children what JOY is to be had by giving to OTHERS!!

TWEETERS:  use the hashtag #OCC100M  to follow the excitement of reaching 100 million boxes.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting "Samaritan's Purse" I followed the link, and found a church with a mile of my home. I am going to fill some plastic bins and drop them off at he church. Thank you, and Bless you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheryl, this is awesome! have fun filling your boxes and bring joy to others :)

      Delete
  2. I am in love with your blog! I thought I would tell you "hello!" I first found your page on 6th Street design's feature friday and I absolutely love what you do with your kiddies.

    Although unmarried and "unmommied" I love reading your family's goals and activities. I'm currently earning my teaching degree so that someday I can teach my future kiddos in an ideal environment.

    Anyway, I admire you and am constantly bookmarking your posts as things to do in my own classroom/home one day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. steph, thank you for stopping to say hello and for the very sweet comments :)

      Delete
  3. you are so awesome to share about this wonderful organization. i love seeing your little ones filling their boxes!
    my oldest daughter, savannah, is traveling to kosovo to deliver Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes for 10 days at christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. paige, what an awesome experience for savannah!

      Delete
  4. I love this! My hubs & I are definitely going to fill a box or two (or five) to send. I loved doing stuff like this as a kid, and am so glad you posted this so we can continue loving others even in adulthood! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. katie.....yay! have FUN filling your boxes and finding JOY serving OTHERS! :)

      Delete
  5. Hello! I don't think I've commented before, but I've been meaning to say that I really enjoy your blog- thank you for sharing! I also just wanted to add that your children are absolutely adorable (though, of course, you must already know that!), and I am SUPER impressed that you go out and about with 6 kiddos! I think you might be a superhero ;o) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I don't think I've commented before, but I've been meaning to say that I really enjoy your blog- thank you for sharing! I also just wanted to add that your children are absolutely adorable (though, of course, you must already know that!), and I am SUPER impressed that you go out and about with 6 kiddos! I think you might be a superhero ;o) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful thing. I love this.

    http://www.memoirsofmeandmine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this!!! I for one am so tired of thinking what to get my kids for Christmas. This is something my kids and I can do and will do. We found a church 30 miles away and I will call on monday when to drop some off. What a wonderful lesson to teach our kids to give and not think about what we want. Love your blog by the way and we have eight Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sara
    Amazing that you take the time to help others when your life is so full and busy - what a wonderful example you are to your gorgeous children.My boys are grown up and have left home so I love reading blogs like yours... Makes me quite nostalgic! Congratulations on making such a beautiful home for your family and keep up the great job :)
    Best wishes
    Gee
    Johannesburg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love. It's one thing for adults to write a check and help someone. It's another for children to SEE that in action!! Good job to all and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't realize Samaritan's Purse had a pinterest board! I've got to check that out. I used to love shopping for the shoeboxes when I was a little girl. It was better than getting my own Christmas presents! We always put such thought and care into them! I can't wait to do this with my son. He should be the perfect age by this time next year to really enjoy it!

    God bless!
    Shirley

    abowformama.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. we're getting ours together today! the kids are so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs